1. We have talked about Heart of Darkness as being a dense story. How does Conrad use that to develop his message?
2. Identify the mood of the story so far. What does Conrad do to establish that mood?
3. Conrad fills this story with contrasts. Identify specific contrasts and explain how Conrad uses them? What is his purpose?
4. Some critics say Heart of Darkness is satire. What would lead them to conclude this? Be sure to have a definition of satire to facilitate this discussion.
5. From what you have read through part 2, what is Conrad’s message to the 21st century?
6. Kurtz is possibly the most mysterious character in literary fiction. What role does this mystery have in developing Conrad’s theme?